Elevate your taste buds with Jalapeno Pineapple Hushpuppies. These golden bites fuse sweet pineapple and spicy jalapeno, creating a harmonious explosion of flavor. Crispy outside, tender inside – a modern twist on a Southern classic.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¾ cup diced yellow onions
- ½ cup finely diced pineapples canned pineapple tidbits can be substituted
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- kosher salt or flaked sea salt for serving
- chopped green onions for serving
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir thoroughly after adding the onions, pineapples, jalapenos, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Heat the canola or vegetable oil to 375°F in a deep fryer, heavy pan, or a large Dutch oven. The depth of the oil should be between two and three inches. (Pouring a small amount of flour into the oil might be a quick technique to determine the temperature. The oil is ready if it bubbles up and immediately becomes brown.)
- Drop 2-3 teaspoons of batter into the oil using a large spoon (an ice cream scoop can also be used). (Tip: To prevent crowding the pan, fry these hush puppies in batches.)
- Fry for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Remove the hush puppies from the oil using a metal slotted spoon or spider, and let them drain on a plate lined with paper towels or in brown paper bags.
- Before serving, season with a little salt and top with finely sliced green onions.
Enjoy your delicious Jalapeno Pineapple Hushpuppies!
Please note that cooking times might vary based on your equipment and the size of the hushpuppies, so it’s a good idea to keep an eye on them as they fry.
Discover More: Traditional Dutch Apple Pie